Michael D. Moberly is a Business Intangible Asset Strategist, Risk Mitigator and Founder – Principal of kpstrat and ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’.
The development of every business which I am familiar, their innovation, projects, new product – service launches, and transactions, etc., , are for various reasons, vulnerable to expanding arrays of risk, which can materialize – attach – cascade @ keystroke speed.
Experientially – unfortunately, many businesses remain inclined to address today’s finessed types of risks, i.e., defense, mitigation, remediation, recouperation, etc., as if they are endeavoring to defend – mitigate – remediate – repair risks to tangible – physical assets, rather than risk to intangible – non-physical assets.
Indeed, purposeful risks intended to adversely affect ‘business things intangible’ are different relative to awareness, mitigation, engagement, defensive management, and recouperation.
Growing percentage of business risks are purposed to deliver – produce personalized (viral) adverse effects which expand – cascade throughout an enterprise to bring-into-question and undermine a business’s reputation, brand, image, goodwill, market perceptions, competitive position, and operating culture, ala ‘mission essential’ intangible assets, i.e., its…
- operating culture, reputation-standing, image, goodwill, and market perception, etc., ala
- competitive position, revenue generation capability, valuation, and perhaps sustainability, etc.,
I would be remiss if there was no suggestion here that some materialized business risks fall into the category of ‘it’s obvious – stand by – it will eventually materialize’, i.e.,self-inflicted, or repetitiously ‘shoot-oneself – company-in-the-foot’.
Unfortunately, most ‘materialized risk and fixes’ to businesses ‘mission essential’ intangible assets, are seldom the ‘one and done and move on’ variety.
Instead, they are increasingly asymmetric, audience specific, personalized, virally-attention focused, publicly aired, time consuming to dissipate, and costly to mitigate and close, e.g., they can…
- materialize anytime, anywhere, any way, by anyone, for any reason, with
- produce various (well-intend and/or agenda driven) ‘pile-on-effects’ which may cascade throughout an enterprise, i.e., its’ human resource-operating culture-market-manufacturing-supply-distribution, and finance-investment chains, to
- stifle momentum and/or reveal a business’s previous, perhaps obvious vulnerabilities, or improprieties which…
initially – routinely – increasingly attach to business’s ‘intangible non-physical’ assets.
Let there-be-no-debate about why – how materialized (business) risks now (initially – routinely) target, attach, and adversely affect (business’s) ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Its’ because businesses are increasingly, irreversibly, and openly intangible asset intensive, dependent, and reliant on the…
- convergence + exploitation of various forms, types, and categories of intangible asset, i.e.,
- the right intellectual capital (knowledge, know how), structural capital (process, procedure), and relationship capital (associations, alliances sources), etc.,
- introduced at the right time, in the right place, in the right way, at the right cost.
This translates to the universal business economic – operation reality that…
80+% of most business’s revenue generation capability – capacity competitiveness, and sustainability, etc., lie in – emerge directly from intangible (non-physical) assets.
Some risks of course, business founders, leaders, management teams, boards, and investors are obliged to anticipate – project.
Other machinations – configurations of (business) risk and the range of adversities they may deliver, e.g., intentionally executed, predatorially materialize, etc., @ keystroke speed, emerge from…
- spectrums of motives, rationales, and ‘talking point’ rationalizations.
- arrays of economic, competitive advantage, and ideological – political adversaries globally.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide perspectives, insights, and additional and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors, etc., to aid in unraveling, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively – legitimately exploiting ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts wherein arrays of issues related to business things intangible are authentically and practically conveyed.