Michael D. Moberly, Principal, Founder kpstrat and ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog – Business Intangible Asset Strategies and Risk Mitigator
Cynically, misogynistically, jokingly, there is occasional ‘debate’ (often by the uninitiated, unknowing) about what – which constitutes the world’s oldest profession.
Experientially, I encourage readers to consider the ‘poaching’ of another’s rightfully held – original (work products) as a profession (sic) older than most, ala whenever, wherever, why ever one covets the intangible property of another.
Since I began researching, teaching, writing, and consulting about safeguarding proprietary business information in the early-1990’s, I respectfully frame the…
- misappropriation – theft of another’s originally developed, held, owned, and perhaps registered (a.) proprietary information and/or (b.) its issuance as intellectual property, e.g., a patent, trademark, copyright, or trade secret as the oldest profession.
Business leaders, c-suites, management teams, boards, and investors (similarly) are obliged to recognize…
- information and the importance – relevance of which, when, where, how, and why particular intangible assets are applied, of which there are 15+/-types-categories.
Experientially, my work – research attaches significance to 3 types of (business) intangible asset which I argue are developed and preferably materialize as key – formative underliers and foundations to every successful business – institution which I am familiar, irrespective of…
- sector, product-service, size, valuation, sales, maturation/stage, or location, i.e.,
- intellectual capital, e.g., specific – relevant knowledge + know how.
- structural capital, e.g., operational familiarity with specific – relevant processes, procedures, and
- relationship capital, e.g., professional + experiential collaborative affiliations and associations with relevant others + sources.
Business leaders who distinguish the above will find doing so relevantand strategically important because this is where,,,
- safeguarding – mitigating risk to proprietary business information should originate in advance,
- adversary surveilling – targeting will likely initiate, and
- theft, misappropriation, and compromise will likely execute.
For business leaders, et al, knowing when, where, how, and why particular-business things intangible emerge, develop, and the various forms – contexts they materialize and are applied, is…
- relevant to differentiating the assets’ contributory roles + value adds, as
- mission-essential to a business, its reputation, standing to a product, service, or process, e.g.,
- the right intangible assets, developed – applied proprietarily, e.g., in the right way, and introduced at the right time, in the right place, and at the right cost, and
- how same converge – contribute to create reputationally competitive, lucrative, reliably resilient, and efficient (business) operating cultures.
To be sure, there are various circumstances, i.e., when, where, which, how, and why, particular-business information should be designated proprietary, and should remain so for the duration of its life-value cycle, because those inclined to surveil and endeavor to poach those intangible assets often rationalize such acts as ‘fair game’ due to its accessibility in open sources. Hence, nefarious means – motivation held by economic – competitive advantage adversaries and agenda-driven disruptors is often deemed suitable to apply.
Many – most ‘literary work products’ carry a presumption of ‘copyrightability’. Still, either can be and is frequently poached, e.g., adapted – used w/o attribution or payment of a licensing – royalty fee.
Some proponents of same posit, this is a price – risk which a developer – holder (of proprietary information) pays vis-a-vis their desire – permission that their work product, ala knowledge – knowhow, etc., is available – accessible in today’s obligatory platforms for business marketing with same not being held behind a subscriber portal or pay wall.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide perspectives, insights, and additional and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors, etc., to aid in identifying, distinguishing, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively utilizing -applying their ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts wherein arrays of issues related to business things intangible are authentically and practically-conveyed.