Michael D. Moberly, Principal, Founder kpstrat and ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog – Business Intangible Asset Strategies and Risk Mitigator
Let there be no debate, most businesses today are,by various objective measures,increasingly – irreversibly intangible asset intensive, dependent, and reliant, whether they are startups, maturing, or mature.
This translates to 80+/-% of business valuation, attractivity, revenue generation potential, and sustainability lie in – emerge directly from various forms, contexts, and applications of the right proprietarily developed – held…
- intellectual (knowledge, knowhow) capital, structural (process, procedure) capital, and relationship (association, operating culture) capital, being,
- introduced – applied in the right way, at the right time, at the right cost.
For these reasons, founders –management teams of, and prospective investors in startups especially, are (fiduciarily) obliged to…
- distinguish the various types – categories of business things intangible (assets) which have been developed – are in play, and their relevance – essentiality to particular aspects – stages of a project, outcome, and/or transaction.
- differentiate those business things intangible relative to their contributory roles + value adds to the development – progress of every project, buy-sell transaction, and/or licensing initiative, etc.,
- project which, when, where, how, and why particular and ‘mission essential’ intangible assets need to converge and collaborate to deliver a desired (near term, strategic) outcome, e.g.,
- valuation, viability, competitive advantage, resilience, achieve the ‘next stage’ of development, etc.
Experientially, these insights – perspectives are reliable and relevant, to-for every business leader – prospective investor, irrespective of sector, stage, size, product, or service.
Startup leaders – management teams seeking – vying to appear on-the-radar of (attract) prospective investors are particularly-obliged to…
- articulate – paint discernably authentic + persuasive portraits of their business that conveys an objective, collaborative, and sustainable passion to successively strive to achieve and sustain planned steps, stages, and outcomes by effectively applying specific and proprietary business things intangible.
Prospective (private) investors (VC’s) routinely recognize – assess, discuss, differentiate, and will variously seek affirmation (conduct due diligence) on an investments’ intangible assets in play – at risk, and
- incorporate same in (their) invest – don’t invest decision criteria. (Please see various posts @ Business Intangible Asset Blog about conducting due diligence.)
Venture capitalists secure a share + voice, i.e., early-stage guidance – oversight, etc., of those business which they choose to invest. As such private investors will likely exercise various prerogatives because, among other reasons, most consider themselves, first and foremost, to be experienced business professionals, and perhaps risk takers.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide perspectives, insights, and additional and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors, etc., to aid in identifying, distinguishing, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively utilizing -applying their ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts wherein arrays of issues related to business things intangible are authentically and practically conveyed.