Michael D. Moberly is a Business Intangible Asset Strategist and Risk Mitigator. He is also Principal and Founder of kpstrat and the ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog.
It’s important that business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors recognize, those intangibles…
- practically serve as the foundations – underliers to any – all IP that may be applied for – issued by the USPTO.
Intellectual property – IP is principally the convergence of various forms, types, and categories of intangible asset, i.e.,
- the right intellectual capital (knowledge, know how), structural capital (process, procedure), and relationship capital (associations, alliances sources), etc.,
- introduced at the right time, in the right place, in the right way, at the right cost.
That is the case for all IP which I am familiar. More specifically, applications for IP are required to practically describe experiential (research) inputs of intellectual, structural, and relationship capital and how same translate to a particular and desirable outcome, e.g.,
- which, when, where, how, and why particular-experiential knowledge, know how, processes, procedures, and associations converge reliably and effectively to produce a unique – innovative outcome.
I argue, it is at this convergence, that startup founders + business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors (similarly) can be good-better-best positioned to recognize their innovations’ valuation, advantages, and potential commercialization paths, i.e., competitive, lucrative, market-able, and sustainable may emerge.
Each business initiative – transaction, which I am familiar, valuable – competitive ‘business things intangible’ are always in play, irrespective of sector ‘number of moving parts’, and how-why either has emerged – is being considered, perhaps negotiated, and/or invested, whether the parties recognize it or not, e.g.,
- differentiating – assessing the ‘mission essential’ intangible assets sought by, among other strategies, conducting intangible asset specific due diligence, to unravel,
- which, when, where, how, and why specific ‘business things intangible’ are obligatorily relevant to the sustainability-durability, valuation, brand-reputation-competitive advantage @ execution.
It is @ these ‘mission critical junctures’ that each party’s experiential and negotiating prowesspreferably emerge,insofar as recognizing that developing, acquiring, and/or investing in particular-intangible assets + the ability to lucratively – competitively exploit and/or re-exploit same, are…
- components which are obliged to be understood and risks – concerns mitigated – negotiated, in advance.
Insight, perspective, and experience to achieve this level of ‘operational familiarity’ should neither be overlooked, nor presumed to be thoroughly executed by an uninitiated.
Influencing transaction negotiators to frame these and other (due diligence) obligations accordingly, i.e., timely, speedily, thoroughly, prudently, and sustainably, is always warranted.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide perspectives, insights, and additional and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors, etc., to aid in unraveling, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively – legitimately exploiting ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts wherein arrays of issues related to business things intangible are authentically and practically conveyed.