Michael D. Moberly is a Business Intangible Asset Strategist, Risk Mitigator, and Founder – Principal of kpstrat and ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog
A prelude to discussing business’s ‘tolerance’ for risk to their intangible (non-physical) assets, which they have likely developed, hold, and consider proprietary…
- I respectfully remind readers that today, and for the foreseeable future, most business’ valuation, competitive advantage, revenue generation capability-capacity, operating culture, and sustainability, irrespective of sector, lie in – emerge directly from the right business things intangible,
Adding complexity to examining ‘risk tolerance’ are these operation, competitive, and economic realities, i.e., rising percentages of…
- business initiatives, projects, and transactions are intangible asset intensive, dependent, and reliant, and can develop and execute @ keystroke speeds.
Therefore, it’s relevant, in my view, that whenever business leadership considers their business’ risk exposures and/or tolerances, we are obliged to factor the…
- position of risk manager – management, e.g., which, why, and how particular exposures – risks are deemed significant insofar as differentiation, assessment, mitigation, and/or avoidance.
Risk management-manager positions, (based on my experiences), are often framed in ‘advisory roles – capacities’ and deemed (best practice) necessities vis-a-vis insurance coverage oversight, cost, risk – claim vulnerability, probability, criticality, and mitigation to physical – tangible assets in which potential harms – damages – claims may arise.
The perspective I draw attention is the necessity to unravel – recognize – assess in advance (not ex post facto)the ‘criticality’ of particular-business risks.
For example, if a business experiencesa single – independent risk vs a succession of risks materializing asymmetrically, @ others will, @ keystroke speeds, with the potential to cascade virally throughout an enterprise and its supply-value chain.
Recognizing – unraveling – assessing the criticality of particular-risks in advance, can produce – deliver immediate returns, relative to…
- mitigating their adverse effects on unique, proprietary, and ‘mission essential’ intangible (non-physical) assets which a business has developed, holds, applies, and is reliant – dependent, e.g., brand, reputation, and operating culture, etc.,
Intangible assets routinely serve as contributors – underliers to business’ mission, attractivity, valuation, and competitive differentiation, valuation, and the sustainability of its products, services, and revenue generation capability – capacity.
Factoring – assessing – acting on ‘risk criticality’, i.e., time – costs associated with a business’ now obligatory ‘social media’ efforts to defend, counter, and/or attempt to recover from the exposure – materialization of particular-risks…
- can translate to good-better-best risk mitigation + management before, during, and after.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide practical insights, and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, stakeholders, and investors, etc., to aid in identifying, distinguishing, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively developing – applying their ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts.