Michael D. Moberly, Principal, Founder kpstrat and ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog – Business Intangible Asset Strategies and Risk Mitigator
Experientially, those who may be nefariously inclined – influenced to access – acquire others rightfully held proprietary knowledge and/or IP, ala knowledge, know how regarding a sought-after process, procedure and apply same for their or clients near term economic – competitive advantage, are frequently,
- influenced to do so because such endeavors require minimal time and resources, compared to innovatively – legitimately developing – applying similar as a ‘startup’.
For hundreds of years, the above translates as powerfully attractive, seductive, and irreverent motives, and today increasing percentages of businesses, irrespective of sector, size, stage, maturation, location, or valuation are intangible asset intensive, dependent, and reliant, i.e.,
- 80+% of most business’s revenue generation capability – capacity competitiveness, and sustainability, etc., lie in – emerge directly from intangible (non-physical) assets.
Experientially, my research – work on matters related to business things intangible have influenced me to attach particular significance to three types of business intangible asset, i.e.,
- intellectual capital, e.g., specific – relevant knowledge + know how, and how same underlies,
- structural capital, e.g., specific – relevant processes, procedures, which also underlie,
- relationship capital, e.g., professional + experiential collaborations, affiliations, associations, and sources…which individually – collectively – collaboratively serve as initiators, center pieces, and foundations to developing + sustaining attractive, reliable, efficient, and valuable (business) operating cultures.
Too, business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors who may be unfamiliar with, not drawn or inattentive to ‘business things intangible’, are (fiduciarily) obliged to…
- recognize – differentiate which, when, where, and how ‘business things intangible’ interact – collaborate as operating culture, brand, valuation, competitive advantage, and reputation.
Of course, there are numerous other important – essential contributors to business success, i.e., managerial, financial, marketing, and timing, etc.
However, the universal introduction – interaction of the right intellectual, structural, and relationship capital, developed-applied at the right time, in the right way, and at the right cost are universal underliers, which warrant…
- recognition – differentiation as ‘mission essential’.
- safeguards circumstantially, operationally, and transactionally.
- mitigation of risk, particularly those if-when they materialize and cascade, are likely to adversely, perhaps irrevocably, affect…
if, how, and when intangible assets contribute to a business’ sustainability and/or product – service – transaction attractivity, valuation, competitive advantage, and revenue generation capability-capacity.
The encouragement I convey in seminars, professional papers, and @ Business Intangible Asset Blog to consider + engage these principles arise from professional experiences, observations, research, and consultancies, in which lucrative – sustainable resolutions to challenges frequently lie with…
- a form – context – application of intellectual, structural, and relationship capital, and
- same being recognized + safeguarded as underliers – foundations to lucrative, competitive, resilient business – brand operation.
For these reasons, business leaders benefit by seeking operational familiarity with their ‘mission essential’ intangible assets. This includes distinguishing which, when, where, and how to legitimately – lucratively – competitively exploit same + safeguard – mitigate risks for the duration of their value – materiality (life) cycle.
The ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ is experientially-researched, written, and produced by Michael D. Moberly, to provide perspectives, insights, and additional and sometimes alternative perspectives to readers, ala business leaders, management teams, boards, and investors, etc., to aid in identifying, distinguishing, assessing, valuing, safeguarding, and lucratively – competitively utilizing -applying their ‘mission essential’ intangible assets.
Readers are-encouraged to review and comment on this, and other posts wherein arrays of issues related to business things intangible are authentically and practically conveyed.