Michael D. Moberly, Principal, Founder, kpstrat
The value, competitiveness, revenue generation capability, and sustainability of a business’s reputationandbrand…
- need routine monitoring and rejuvenation, i.e., inputs of personal – professional capital, and operating culture ala contributors and conveyers.
Leader – investor hesitancies and/or inclinations to accountably recognize and deliberate the above as qualitative – quantitative inputs and contributors to and underliers of brand – reputation for business businesses, products, and services alike.
Reputation and brand often emerge from various experiential, conventional, and generational concoctions which reflect aspirational thinking and near-term projections.
The sustainability of business – brand competitive advantages and lucrative outcomes can abruptly confront adversity when risks to either materialize and cascade @ keystroke speed…
- at the will and timing of others, whose actions, by design – intent are to produce question and doubt regarding a product, service, and/or people associated, which rapidly, and
- manifest as (a.) value – competitive advantage erosion, and (b.) costly – time consuming (reputation – brand) holder mitigation formulation and response activities.
Exhibiting hesitance to or dismissiveness of either, or framing a business’s vulnerability – probability to and criticality of reputation – brand risks in binary contexts of if, rather than when they may materialize…
- is variously akin to guesstimating where – when lighting may strike a golf course – golfers during hours of daylight in Spring, Summer, or Fall seasons.
For risk taker’s…the propriety of deferring – opting to assume risk (at a given time-place, for a particular product – service launch, etc.) may lead to accolades and benefits, providing little, no, or a ‘manageable’ risk materializes within a particular time frame.
on the other hand…
For risk mitigator’s…when some (form, array, continuum, etc.) of business reputation – brand risk materializes that is unmistakably launched at a particular time and intended to impose doubt, its early and effective mitigation, may also lead to accolades and benefits.
It matters how holders of – investors in business things intangible, i.e., reputation and brand, conceive risk. kpstrat argues that each is obliged, at minimum to…
- consider (factor) how – when – which consumers and/or clients (a.) learn about, and (b.) what either is inclined to believe, insofar as (c.)affecting interest – attractivity to/for a particular product or brand, and (d.) risk mitigation strategy holders – investors apply, with this perspective…
it is prudent to recognize, unravel, assess, and endeavor to mitigate risk, sooner-than-later…less-so-after, e.g.
Seldom should costs, momentum slowdowns, erosion of competitive advantage and revenue generation capability, etc., attributed to materialized risks to business reputation and brand,
- be too-quickly-characterized as negligible, erasable, temporary, or necessarily recoverable within wishful thinking guesstimates of time frames (near term).
There are far too many open-source examples in which such assumptions fell short of projections and unfavorably translated as proved ‘tone deafness’ relative to the depth – breadth of the current adversity, e.g.
- presumptions – predictions of miraculous (revenue generation, value, competitive advantage) recovery,
- a strategic component of which may variously involve assigning risk causation to the ideological will + timing of an identifiable – agenda driven bad actor(s)
- as a strategy to mitigate adverse consumer – client reaction.
Seldom, if ever, does such a strategy remain viable beyond a ‘keystroke speed’ news – social media cycle., e.g.,
- readers are obliged to consider the combination of adverse weather events and sudden – prolonged absence of public utilities throughout much of Texas (mid-February, 2021) as one, of many examples.
- guarantees claiming otherwise, should be objectively debated.
Conceiving (structuring) business reputation – brand risk (mitigation), in kpstrat’s view, represents a fiduciary obligation which embodies this economic fact – operational reality…
- 80+% of most business’s value, competitive advantages, sources of revenue, and sustainability, etc., lie in – emerge directly from intangible assets,
- particularly forms, contexts, and applications of intellectual, structural, relationship, and cultural capital.
Respectfully, readers of this postare invited to explore other – similar posts, books, and papers available @ ‘Business Intangible Asset Blog’ and https://kpstrat.com